Friday, February 26, 2010

DRJ #1: Hamlet, Act I

During the first act Hamlet experiences uneasy feelings when his mother moves on very quickly after her husband’s death and dates Hamlet’s uncle. This situation reminded me of my grandpa when my grandma passed away. They got married when they were 18 and then a few years ago she passed away from Luekemia. Shortly after her death, her sister started to hang around my grandpa a lot and it seemed that whenever I saw my grandpa, I saw her. I knew she had romantic feelings for him, but in my opinion it was too soon and inappropriate. I understand Hamlet’s feelings in that regard and I caught myself judging the entire situation with my own family. Finally, I decided to look past it and to only want what would make my grandpa happy. It will be interesting to see how Hamlet deals with the situation.

Hamlet is the main character and seems to be the type of person that is well respected, caring (although puts his feelings first) and curious. His fatal flaw would be his passive-aggressive attitudes towards his mother and uncle. He obeys them and acts cooperatively and respectable in front of them, but in reality he has bitter feelings about his mother moving on so quickly after his father’s death. This anger and resentment usually builds up to the point where someone acts out irrationally or does something that they regret. So far from what I have read in Act I, Hamlet does fit Aristotle’s concept of a classical tragic hero because I could see how his attitude could lead to his own downfall. The fact that he is not honest and truthful with his parents is a good indication that the events to come may be less than ideal.

One of the theme’s that stood out to me in Act I is Hamlet’s view of a woman’s love and loyalty. In Act I Hamlet states, “Thrift, thrift, Horatio! the funeral baked meats Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables,” which suggests that he questions the authenticity of a woman’s love. I believe that he struggles with this issue because his mother married his uncle soon after her husband’s sudden death.

5 comments:

  1. It has been very surprising to me how many people have gone through personal experience that reflect the plot of Hamlet. In Hamlet's deception of his parents, I believe you are correct in saying that it will be his downfall. His character becomes so obsessed with conspiracy and revenge that he losses sight of his friends, and after Ophelia's death, he losses himself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point about Hamlets views of women. To me,the fact that Ophelia married Claudius so soon after the death of her husband is at the root of Hamlets distrust of women. I dont think he gets over that betrayal, and it sticks with him throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments are extremely intuitive about Hamlet's reservations about a women's ability to truly love. I guess that comment about his mother simply slipped by me. Maybe that explains why Hamlet and Ophelia's relationship begins to deteriorate later in the play (so I've heard). I honestly believe that the manner in which a man handles a woman could sometimes stem from his relationship (or lack of) and feelings toward his mother. Wow...I'm going to have to go back and read act I again LOL. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mechelles comment above made a very good point that I didn't think about mentioning although I also talked about the theme of women in my post. It will be very interesting to see how Hamlets actions toward Ophelia are in congruence with his relationship he has with his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your post..I think your reaction to Act 1 about how past love lost reflects other peoples experience..and we only want what is best for them in the end even though we disagree or dislike the person they are with. With Hamlet his feeling are lead with anger, dispair and revenge will be his great downfall in the end.

    ReplyDelete