Thursday, February 11, 2010

SSRJ #4:Minot

The story Lust, by Susan Minot, made me feel a little put off and bored at first. I felt put off because of the narrator’s promiscuous lifestyle and her lack of self respect. I was also bored of the story because I simply wasn’t interested in her “love” life, or lack thereof. I didn’t really care to know who she had been with, what they did together or what they looked like. Then towards the end when the narrator discusses how the experiences make her feel, I felt relieved. Relieved to know that she can be honest with herself and hopefully make better decisions in the future.
The only element that stood out particularly interesting to me was when the narrator finally comes to grips with the reality and consequences of sleeping around before she is married. “After sex, you curl up like a shrimp, something deep inside you ruined, slammed in a place that sickens at slamming, and slowly you fill up with an overwhelming sadness, an elusive gaping worry. You don’t try to explain it, filled with the knowledge that it’s nothing after all, everything filling up finally and absolutely with death. After the briskness of loving, loving stops. And you roll over with death stretched out alongside you like a feather boa, or a snake, light as air, and you…you don’t even ask for anything or try to say something to him because it’s obviously your own damn fault. You haven’t been able to-to what? To open your heart. You open your legs but can’t or don’t dare anymore, to open your heart.” This paragraph makes the point that teenage “love” is simply lust. There is no lasting love or a future together.
The situation in my life that this story made me think of is when I was in high school. A few of the classmates I knew very well always slept with their boyfriends and then they would eventually break up. Of course they were heartbroken and regretted what they did. A lot of them were hurt and thought that they would be together forever. I tried my best to listen and empathize.
The literary element that I chose and was used by the author to support and build meaning to their work is tone. Reading the first few paragraphs I clearly noticed that the tone of the story was few monotonous. The way the narrator describes each “lover,” one right after other, shows that the narrator is less enthused. “Roger was fast. In his illegal car, we drove to the reservoir, the radio blaring, talking fast, fast, fast. He was always going for my zipper. He got kicked out sophomore year. By the time the band got around to playing ‘Wild Horses,’ I had tasted Bruce’s tongue. We were clicking in the shadows on the other side of the amplifier, out of Mrs. Donovan’s line of vision. It tasted like salt, with my neck bent back, because we had been dancing so hard before.” The tone is also set at the end when the narrator discusses how she is lured into these “relationships,” which sets the tone of helplessness. “You stare into their eyes. They flash like all the stars are out. They look at you seriously, their eyes at a low burn and their hands no matter what starting off shy and with such a gentle touch that the only thing you can do is take that tenderness and let yourself be swept away. When, with one attentive finger they tuck the hair behind your ear, you-You do everything they want.”
Should the reader feel sympathy for the narrator? Do you think the theme of the story would appeal to most readers?

8 comments:

  1. I agree that the author used a highly fluctuating format in describing the sexual encounters to convey a feeling of detachment and erratic behavior. I didn't feel that this story was about feeling sympathy. As a reader I felt no sympathy for the character either. Minot's purpose, her theme, was about recognizing the insecurities, the fundamental flaws, of teenage sex-lives. This would appeal to a reader who wants to reject sexual ignorance, or to find influence in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Minot's descpription of her teenage years is far more common than some of us want to admit or believe. She was a product of a higher class family so I dont think her actions was a product of her background. I did have a since of partial sympathy, just to the fact that she seemed to relish in each encounter not knowing what the possible consequence could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if we should feel sympathy for the reader. However, I admire her ability to regain value and respect for her mind and body in order to make better choices for her life. I think this piece forces each reader to search for its relevance and/or application to their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first thought I would say, no, I had no sympathy for the narrator as i read her monotone accounts of sexual escapades. She simply sounds bored, with the attitude of another "notch on the bedpost". But towards the end when she finally opens up and lets us see what she really feels, i think my heart softened a little. This is a broken, torn up young woman with no direction and no escape. Its actually heartbraking when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't feel sympathy for the narrator. I think that this story is directed towards how teenagers view sex once they have it and how it is hard to say no. To me it showed how teenagers don't think about the consequences of sex or how it can make you feel. The theme to me would appeal to female readers more than males because of the narrator being a female point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had very similar thoughts about the story as you. It is hard to feel sorry for someone that continues putting themselves in situations where they will be demoralized. A lot of teenagers view sex in the same way, which is why I don't feel sorry for them because they need to learn in their own ways how these things end up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually did feel sorry for the narrator. I pictured a girl much too young to be so promiscuous getting herself into such bad situations. The way she described her situation almost made it seem like she felt obligated to do what the boys wanted. I felt like with every experience she was becoming more emotionally damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do feel sympathy for the narrator. Being a kid can be rough when difficult situations are presented in front of you and you don't know what to do or not to do. I like the narrators honesty, which is why I do sympathise with her.

    ReplyDelete