Thursday, January 21, 2010

SSRJ#1: Chopin

When I started reading the short story by Chopin, I felt sorry for her and could not imagine going through the same situation. How would I even begin to cope with a loss as great as hers? As I read on, the story took on an unexpected twist. I was shocked that she was happy, almost relieved that her husband had died. At first I felt that her feelings and attitude were wrong, shocking and unlikely. Had any other widow secretly felt the same way? Surely this attitude would not be accepted in today's society. Towards the end I was a little happy for her. Maybe her thoughts and feelings were not so evil after all. Perhaps she was in a domestic situation that she felt she could not escape and now she was free. If that was truly the case, I understood why she felt the way she did.
The element of the story that was particularly interesting to me was how the author took the reader through each stage of emotion that Mrs. Mallard went through. We feel her initial despair, the "dull stare in her eyes," to becoming joyful and feeling a sense of freedom.
After reading this story I thought my aunt who had lost her husband in an accident. I reflected on how his death changed her life and I realized how vital family support is.

I believe Chopin used symbolism to convey her message through this short story. As Mrs. Mallard is looking out the window after hearing the news about her husband's death, Chopin vividly describes what she sees. Chopin is using this symbolism to show that Mrs. Mallard is feeling both fresh and renewed by saying that, "she could see in the open square above her house the tops of trees that were all aquiver with new spring life. The delicious breath of rain was in the air." On the other hand she knows she is expected to feel sad and maybe a small part of her does feel despair and shock. "In the street below a young peddler was crying his wares." But after a short time of reflection, she knows that she is free and she is finally allowing herself to feel what it is like to be free, perhaps like a bird is free. "The notes of a distant song which someone was singing reached her faintly, and countless sparrows were twittering in the eaves." The symbolism that was going on outside of her window let us in on what was really going on in her heart.
Was it wrong for Mrs. Mallard to feel free after her husband's death? Is there a right way and a wrong way to feel when such a tragedy takes place? Is it more common than we think for widows to feel relieved or free?

5 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you Erika...I'm Mechelle. I agree that Chopin used of a great deal of symbolism to outline the entire story. It started with her being identified as "Mrs. Mallard." Even in her husband's death she was still simply "his wife." What was her name? I believe that's why the author allowed us to envision the woman she aspired and finally had the opportunity to be. Chopin used vivid descriptions of the environmental elements in order to depict her innermost feelings and to reveal her true identity. I agree that her excitement about being "free" was a little alarming at first. However, I admire her courage to live life even after the loss of her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I don't think it was wrong for Mrs. Mallard to feel free after her husbands death. She finally felt like all her wishes would come true, I think everyone should pursue theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I have mixed emotions the whole thing. While I would say that its alright to pursue your dreams, someones death shouldnt be one way to pursue it. Just because you are unhappy with the person you're with doesnt change the fact that the husband was still a person. I would say maybe she should have thought about divorce, but back in the day im not really sure that would have been an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree about Chopin's use of symbolism. I was in fact drawn to the same lines that you used. I really appreciated your linking of the "delicious breath of air" to Mallard feeling renewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feel for losing a loved one. I think that's what is to be expected is prolonged grief and dispair. As for Mrs. Mallard took her a short hour to go through all those feelings and finally be free of it..

    ReplyDelete